The remodeling contractor you choose can be the biggest factor in determining the success or stress of your remodeling project. Selecting the right remodeler means, you are much more likely to be satisfied with your project and the remodeling experience. Select the wrong remodeler, however, and your project and remodeling experience could become one of those remodeling horror stories you hear of all too often.
Who is the “right” remodeler for you? Experience shows that you will be most satisfied most often with projects done by a remodeler who:
- Operates a legally compliant business
- Uses honest, fair and ethical business practices
- Has integrity and is trustworthy
- Believes consumers should be treated fairly
- Is competent, qualified and professional
- Has the skill, qualifications, and managerial ability to handle your project
- Matches your “comfort level” for how much risk you’re prepared to assume
We want to help you select the remodeler that is best for you and your project. That’s why we’ve put together the following list of some of the most important things to consider and questions to ask. You’ll find three sections — red flags, yellow flags and green flags. In each area, you can find the answers you need by looking at the remodeler’s website, talking to them on the phone, having an initial consultation and subsequent meetings. You should also review Establishing Your Home Remodeling Priorities and Questions to Ask Homeowner References.